Commercial and Business Litigation
We represent businesses in a variety of industries in cases involving breach of contract, tortious interference with existing or contemplated contracts, breach of fiduciary duties, agreements limiting competition, misuse of intellectual property, fraud and deceptive trade practices, lender liability disputes, securities law violations, insurance coverage, construction disputes and employer/employee disputes, among others. In addition to handling disputes at trial, we help our clients protect their rights and avoid liability for such claims.
Our lawyers combine keen analysis, careful preparation, practical skills, and comprehensive experience to represent clients effectively before judges, juries, and arbitrators. If we cannot secure a favorable pre-trial solution, we try cases confidently and vigorously to verdict.
- We represented a publicly traded pharmaceutical company in an arbitration involving repudiation of an exclusive, six-year contract between the drug manufacturer and supplier. We prevailed at the arbitration hearing on all claims, securing an award for the firm’s client of over $8 million plus attorneys’ fees. We also defeated the counterclaim seeking approximately $24 million in damages resulting from the alleged failure to manufacture the drug in accordance with technical specifications and applicable law.
- We successfully represented the managing partner of an investment partnership sued by six of the partnership’s minority partners for breach of fiduciary duty. After a five-day American Arbitration Association hearing, the three-member panel awarded the minority partners just 7.5% of the compensatory damages sought, which was approximately equal to the amount to which our client stipulated was owed and which was barely enough to cover the fees paid by the minority partners to the AAA. The panel also denied in full the minority partners’ request for punitive damages and attorney fees.
- We served as trial counsel in the defense of a securities brokerage firm and its officers and employees before a three-member arbitration panel in an action alleging defamation, trade secret misappropriation, aiding and abetting and breaches of fiduciary duty. Following a five-day hearing, the panel dismissed with prejudice all claims against the brokerage firm and its officers.
- We successfully represented of a national trade show organization in a federal lawsuit which culminated in a five-week jury trial.
- We secured substantially all requested injunctive relief for a large, privately held company in a copyright, trademark, and unfair competition case challenging a competitor’s business practices and major product line.
- We obtained injunctive and other equitable relief on behalf of several closely held Illinois corporations against former employees for violation of restrictive covenants in employment agreements and for violation of the Illinois Trade Secrets Act.