Timothy A. Hudson is a partner whose practice is focused on complex business litigation and class action lawsuits across a variety of industries, including marketing and advertising, healthcare and retail.
Tim has extensive experience in state and federal litigation at the trial and appellate levels. He has tried cases and has represented clients in class actions, copyright infringement actions, breach of contract actions, fraud and other business torts, employment disputes, defamation actions, and state consumer fraud and deceptive business practice actions. His practice has focused on cutting edge class action defense in a wide range of claims, including lawsuits alleging violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Credit Repair Organizations Act (CROA), the Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA) and state consumer protection statutes. Tim regularly counsels corporate clients and individuals on regulatory and compliance issues, including creative strategies to avoid litigation and resolve disputes.
Tim received his law degree from the University of Michigan Law School and his undergraduate degree in from the University of Wisconsin, Madison.
Tim has been recognized as one of the "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch" from a field of over 1,250 nominees. In addition, Tim was named an Illinois "Rising Star" in commercial litigation by SuperLawyers® Magazine and has been named an Illinois Super Lawyer annually since 2015.
Tim frequently speaks at professional and industry events addressing class action defense and federal civil practice and procedure. He also serves as a faculty member for the Practicing Law Institute's continuing legal education seminars.
The following are representative matters Tim has litigated:
- Successfully defended a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in a three-week federal jury trial in which the jury rejected the plaintiff’s claims and awarded damages on client’s counterclaims.
- Successfully represented FT Global 500 company in a four-week federal jury trial involving claims of fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and defamation.
- Obtained dismissal of putative class action alleging violations of the Credit Repair Organizations Act and the Electronic Funds Transfer Act.
- Assisted in the successful defense of a pharmaceutical manufacturer in class action cases involving consumer fraud statutes in various states.
- Obtained dismissal of copyright infringement claims against international recording artists and record companies.
- Successfully represented recording companies before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit after twice obtaining a dismissal of copyright infringement claims in the District Court.
- Obtained appellate court order vacating jury verdict entered against private hospital and remanding for new trial in breach of contract action between hospital and insurance company.
- Successfully resolved insurance coverage dispute in which client obtained full defense and indemnification for environmental contamination lawsuit and property remediation.
- Obtained dismissal of employment-related lawsuits against Illinois elected officials.
- Successfully defended financial consulting firm and its managing partner in lawsuit alleging breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Successfully represented client in retrocessional insurance disputes relating to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.
- Assisted in the successful representation of a large corporation in a $700 million fraudulent transfer adversary proceeding arising out of a Chapter 11 reorganization.