Timothy A. Hudson is a partner whose practice is focused on representing corporations, government agencies, public officials and other individuals in a wide array of complex litigation matters, with particular focus on employment litigation and intellectual property disputes.
In 2012, Mr. Hudson was selected as one of the "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch" by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company from a field of over 1,250 nominees. In addition, Mr. Hudson has been named an Illinois "Rising Star" in commercial litigation by SuperLawyers® Magazine for six consecutive years. In 2015 and 2016, Mr. Hudson was named an Illinois Super Lawyer.
Mr. Hudson also served as a faculty member for the Practicing Law Institute's continuing legal education seminars, including presentations regarding "Taking and Defending Depositions" and "Federal Civil Practice: A Practical Guide to New Developments, Procedures, and Strategies" where he discusses pleading standards and motion practice.
His extensive litigation experience covers areas involving breach of contract, fraud and other business torts, breach of fiduciary duty, employment discrimination, unfair competition, intellectual property, defamation, class action defense, and insurance coverage.
In addition to his trial and appellate practice, Mr. Hudson counsels corporate clients on a variety of sensitive and complicated matters, including techniques to avoid litigation.
Mr. Hudson received his law degree in 1999 from the University of Michigan Law School and was a member of the Michigan Telecommunications & Technology Law Review. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1996 from the University of Wisconsin and graduated Phi Beta Kappa.
Mr. Hudson is a member of the Illinois Bar, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar), the United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, and the United States Courts of Appeal for the Third and Seventh Circuits. He also is a member of the American Bar Association and the Illinois State Bar Association.
Mr. Hudson serves on the Board of Directors of Canine Therapy Corps, and volunteers as a mentor through the Federal Bar Association's High School Student Mentor program.
The following are representative matters Mr. Hudson has litigated:
- Successfully represented FT Global 500 company in a four-week federal jury trial involving claims of fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and defamation.
- Successfully represented client before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit after twice obtaining a dismissal of all claims in the District Court.
- Obtained dismissal of employment-related lawsuits against Illinois elected officials.
- Successfully defended financial consulting firm and its managing partner in lawsuit alleging breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Successfully represented client in retrocessional insurance disputes relating to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.
- Assisted in the successful representation of a large corporation in a $700 million fraudulent transfer adversary proceeding arising out of a Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Assisted in the representation of a large corporation in a breach of contract lawsuit that resulted in a $161 million verdict for the client.
- Assisted in the successful defense of a pharmaceutical manufacturer in class action cases involving consumer fraud statutes in various states.
- Obtained appellate court order vacating jury verdict entered against private hospital and remanding for new trial in breach of contract action between hospital and insurance company.