Michael I Rothstein is a trial and appellate lawyer with extensive experience in complex business and governmental litigation. A graduate of the Boston University School of Law and Indiana University's Kelley School of Business, Mr. Rothstein is also a certified public accountant.
Mr. Rothstein has been designated an Illinois Super Lawyers Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney each year from 2009 through the present. He also has received Martindale-Hubbell’s AV-Preeminent Peer Rating, the highest level of professional excellence awarded.
Mr. Rothstein’s clients have included multi-national, foreign, and domestic corporations, national banks, investment companies, developers, mid-sized and family-owned businesses, high-net-worth individuals, and state and local governmental entities.
Typical disputes handled by Mr. Rothstein involve contract rights, fiduciary duties, fraud and misrepresentation, defamation, trusts, unfair competition, banking and mezzanine lending, financing, real estate development, commercial foreclosures, mortgage servicing, mortgage-backed securities, leasing, joint ventures, partnerships, corporate governance, minority shareholder oppression, trade shows and expositions, consumer protection law, class actions, injunctions, governmental regulation, employment, non-competes, trademarks, trade secrets, and other intellectual property, accounting disputes, legal malpractice, physician credentials, civil rights, and state and federal constitutional claims and defenses.
In addition to trying cases in federal and state courts and before private arbitrators, Mr. Rothstein is an accomplished appellate advocate, having represented clients before the Illinois Appellate Court, the Illinois Supreme Court, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
A lawyer’s lawyer, Mr. Rothstein has been retained as an expert witness regarding attorney malpractice and the reasonableness of attorney’s fees.
Mr. Rothstein is a member of the Illinois bar, as well as the bars of the U.S. Supreme Court, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado.
Mr. Rothstein’s professional activities include:
- Vice-President of the Federal Bar Association, Chicago Chapter (elected);
- Illinois Supreme Court Rules Committee (appointed by the Illinois Supreme Court);
- Judicial Screening Committee of Illinois Supreme Court Justice Mary Jane Theis (appointed by Justice Theis);
- Chicago Bar Association Special Committee on Appellate Practice (appointed);
- Boston University School of Law Alumni Association Executive Committee (elected);
- American Bar Foundation Fellow (elected)..
- President of the Illinois Appellate Lawyers Association (elected);
- Illinois State Bar Association Special Committee on Appellate Practice (appointed).
Mr. Rothstein is also active in community affairs:
- Anti-Defamation League - National Commissioner; former Chair of Chicago Regional Board;
- Jewish Community Relations Council - Vice Chair;
- Center for Enriched Living - Emeritus Board Member;
- Congregation Sukkat Shalom – Board Member.
In 1988 and 1989, Mr. Rothstein served as an assistant special outside counsel to the U.S. House of Representatives Ethics Committee in its investigation of Speaker of the House James C. Wright, Jr.
Mr. Rothstein resides in Wilmette with his wife and four children.