Jeff Patton is experienced handling complex disputes involving commercial contracts, fraud, accounting malpractice, real estate, non-compete obligations, trade secrets, copyrights, trademarks, unfair competition, defamation, and insurance coverage. He also serves as General Counsel of a privately held media distributor.
He has received the AV-Preeminent Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating for attorneys.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1994
- University of Sheffield (England), M. Phil., with distinction, 1991
- Miami University (Oxford, Ohio), B. Phil., summa cum laude, 1988
Community Involvement, Professional Activities, and Awards
- Visiting Lecturer, Peking University Law School, Beijing, China, 2001
- Miami Univ., College of Arts & Science, Alumni Advisory Board
- Oz Park Baseball Association, Board of Directors
- Illinois Bar Foundation, Board of Directors (2012 - 2015)
- Rotary International Foundation Scholar
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers, (2012 - 2015)
- Successfully defended accounting firm in audit malpractice case involving alleged “total loss” of plaintiff’s $200 million banking business.
- Won complete dismissal with prejudice of suit for alleged fraud, conversion, breach of contract, and UCC violations, summarily disposing of claims that Fortune 500 client engaged in multi-million-dollar fraud scheme against dozens of business partners.
- Secured substantially all requested injunctive relief for large, privately held company in copyright, trademark, and unfair competition case challenging competitor’s business practices and major product line.
- Successfully defended logistics provider in multi-jurisdictional dispute with trucking company involving allegations of fraud, racketeering, conspiracy, defamation, and other business torts.
- Won judgment for specific performance of real estate contract in favor of international non-profit organization, resulting in the transfer and permanent preservation of ecologically important tall-grass prairie.